Parents' Visit, Fortuity

Fortuity

I was in the front garden talking to my upstairs neighbour last Saturday, when the postman dropped some mail into my hand. I opened the first envelope, and it was a missive from the Inland Revenue. "Dammit," thought I. "I owe them £240. Ah well, will give them a call during the week and settle up with them." I was mildly deflated, because I had planned to purchase a macro/telephoto lens for my camera that weekend, or a telescope, to view the Harvest Moon.

I opened the next envelope, and it was a cheque for £240 from the Inland Revenue: happily I had misread the statement.

With a spring in my step I bought a Sigma 70-300mm lens from my erstwhile employers, got it home, tried a few moon shots, wandered about, went to the pub with Mr slick47 after failing to find a suitable place to photograph the rising moon in the city, and failed dismally.

Not only did my photography skills fail, but the motor and autofocus as well, so I had to rely on the kindness of a friend to car me back to the showroom to get it replaced the following day. They were very helpful, and replaced it with no quibble.

Parent's Visit

My parents arrived on Friday, and we went out for a meal. Damned fine it was too: they enjoyed dinner at The Library. Not so sure about the experience of one of my work colleagues who was there, presumably on a date, on the next table as my stepfather's foghorn voice reverberated around the establishment.

Saturday we went to the dump to offload some of my accrued detritus to make space in the flat. The off to a rather lovely stately home out in the wilds, where we had cream tea. On the way home I purchased a Skywatcher 130 reflector telescope, which is now dominating my living room.

We followed that up with the best Thai meal I have ever had, ever, at this purple and gorgeous Thai restaurant. The menu was one of those ones where you could choose whatever meat you wanted (chicken, beef, lobster, tofu) and choose the dish to put it in, giving a huge vegetarian selection of 16 options.

Next

Coming up next will be some tech details and stuff about the camera lens and the telescope. When I get round to it.

Comments